Spiced cheese biscuits
- 225 g (1 ½ cups/8 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 150 g (1 ½ cups/5 1/3 oz) finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 25 g (1/4 cup/1 oz) finely grated Parmigiano – Reggiano cheese
- 185 g (6 ½ oz) cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 40 g (1/2 cup/1 ½ oz) poppy seeds (optional), for rolling
Place the flour, sesame seeds, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper into the bowl of the food processor and process to combine. Add the cheeses and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse to combine, then process briefly until a rough dough is formed.
Divide the dough in 4 and roll each piece to form a log about 3-5 cm (1 ½ inches) in diameter. Roll 2 of the logs in the poppy seeds, if using. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit/Gas 4). Line 2 large baking trays. Slice the dough into 5 mm (1/4 inch) rounds and place on the prepared tray.
Bake, in batches, for 12 minutes or until light golden. Store in an airtight container. The logs of dough can also be stored in the freezer so that you can whip one out to slice and bake at a moment’s notice.
Makes 4 logs, about 25 per log
*Recipe from Now for Something Sweet, Monday Morning Cooking Club