Savory Sorrel Flan
- 4 T Butter
- 3/4 finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 C white wine
- 8 cups sorrel leaves (well rinsed, drained and leaf ribs and stems removed)
- 12 eggs
- 4 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C chopped parsley
- 1/2 ts ground nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 C grated gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until translucent. Add wine and cook until gone. Add sorrel leaves and cook covered until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs and cream together in a large bowl. Add the parsley, nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Spoon the sorrel mixture evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the sorrel mixture and pour the egg mixture over the cheese
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven until golden and the center is just firm to the touch, about one hour.
Adapted from Silver Palate