Ginger Carrot Soup
- 1 T butter
- 1 yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 3 C chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 T grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Garnishes: Sour Cream, Parsley and/or Toasted Pine Nuts
- In a large pan, over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent. Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced.
- Remove from heat and cool for at least 5 minutes, then and transfer to a blender. Don’t fill the blender more than half way, do it in batches if you have to. Be careful when blending hot liquids as the mixture can spurt out of the blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. For a smoother flavor bring soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with dollop sour cream and parsley sprigs and toasted pine nuts.
Adapted from Food Network