Elegant & Easy Steamed Mussels
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for toasts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, plus 1 or 2 whole garlic cloves for rubbing toasts
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup white wine (or water)
- 1 baguette, cut into slices (on the diagonal)
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley
Heat broiler. Put olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and red pepper and let sizzle for 30 seconds without browning. Add the mussels, stir to coat and increase heat to high. Add the wine or water and put on lid. After 2 minutes, give the mussels a stir, then replace lid and continue cooking until all mussels have opened, 6 plus minutes.
Paint cut sides of the baguette pieces with oil and place cut side up under broiler to toast. Flip over. Rub toasts with the remaining garlic clove.
Stir the chopped parsley into the mussels, then ladle mussels and broth into bowls. Serve with the garlic toasts.
These make a delicious appetizer, or a larger bowl makes a main course