Corned Beef with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots with Irish Soda Bread
- One 3-poundish uncooked corned beef brisket or round , rinsed
- 16 cups cold water
- spice packet from corned beef
- 2 celery stalks, cut into thirds
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- OPTIONAL SPICES:
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 10 whole juniper berries
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 1 pound new potatoes, halved
- 6 carrots cut in thirds
- 1 medium green cabbage (about 2 pounds), cut into 8 wedges
- Horseradish Cream:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
*Adapted from Food Network
- Put the corned beef, water,celery, onion,cloves, bay leaves, and optional spices if desired,in a large 6-quart heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven with a lid. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to maintain a slow simmer, cover and braise until very tender but not falling apart, about 3 hours. A fork should easily pierce through the meat.
- Transfer the corned beef to a medium bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon or skimmer, remove the vegetables and spices from the cooking liquid and discard. Add the potatoes, carrots and onions to the pot and cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the cabbage to the pot and cover. Boil for 10 minutes. The potatoes should be tender. The cabbage should be cooked through, but not mushy and wilted. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage onto a serving platter.
- Slice the corned beef into 1/4-inch thick slices against the grain and place onto the serving platter. Ladle 1 cup of the cooking liquid over the corned beef. Serve warm with the cabbage, carrot, onions and potatoes.
- For the horseradish cream: Combine the sour cream, horseradish, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Stir well to combine.